Friday, December 20, 2013

CNTL-ALT-DELETE

We’ve all been there, our computers freeze, hang or just don’t go according to spec; the fix?  Hit CNTL ALT DELETE it makes everything better.  The same can be applied to me and the activities or non activities of the last couple of weeks and draft plans for 2014.

I had great plans, Disney Half Marathon in January, another half in March and a bunch of shorter distance races set for the first quarter.  Well, that got flushed down the toilet when I got the news from my doctor about my hip tendonitis and bursitis.  No running through December, no race.  Gone are the plans for Disney, for the first quarter.  I grumbled and felt sorry for myself for a day, then drew up the short term action plan.   Time to hit CNTL-ALT-DELETE.

I’m in the process of ‘rebooting’ my 2014.  I have to admit, not having any races on the calendar right now brings about a certain peace and calm to my life.  I am enjoying going to the gym (something I haven’t done in 2 years) and hitting the weights (also something I haven’t done in 2 years).  I forgot how much I enjoy the ‘day after pain’ of a good leg workout, or the feel of the (imaginary) knife stabbing you when you sneeze after abs.

Over the next 2 weeks, I’ll start mapping out a longer term plan, but for now here’s the here and now:

Wake up the beast.  The beast has been in hibernation for about 7 years now.  The beast was strong.  The beast was lean.   The beast did it on only 2x week of strength training – albeit it was using a trainer, but still + 4 days of quality cardio.   For the next month, the ratio will probably be reversed as I have to work on my leg (hips specifically) strength due to my injury (that’s 3 times a week), figure I’ll add on 1 day of Upper Body with the hope of finally taking a fantastic finish line picture where my arms will actually look good.

My little beast


It’s been several weeks since I’ve done any cardio.  The bursitis has been too painful.  It’s STARTING to feel better.  Hello Bike…see you soon.

When will I run again?  I’m not sure and right now, I’m OKAY with that.  The reason I got into this situation is due to a shaky foundation.  Time to strengthen that up first.  I’m in no rush to get reinjured.  I want to run happy.   Speaking of, I’ll leave you with this…

While I can’t run Disney, I’m making the best of a disappointing situation.  I was previously going up to Orlando without my husband because races aren’t his thing.  Now there’s no race.  Since the hotel is all paid for and my husband and I haven’t been away in a while, he’s going with me.  The man is 47 years old and HAS NEVER BEEN TO DISNEYWORLD.  I am looking forward to seeing it through his eyes (and secretly hoping he loses it when he sees a character coming towards him).

The people at Run Disney allowed me to Defer my race registration to 2015.  Here’s the big announcement.  In 2015, Walt Disney World will be the race I run my first FULL MARATHON! 


1 comment:

  1. As much as injuries suck, it's awesome that you're using the down time to get things right with your body! Plus a huge goal for 2015...awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete